Mission, Vision, & Values
Our mission is to help create a more just and humane world for both non-human and human animals. We work toward this goal guided by strong anti-oppression values.
Animal Law Europe’s mission is to improve the treatment of animals through law and policy, encouraging and participating in lawful and non-violent methods of change. Animal Law Europe firmly believes that knowledge is power, and so strives to empower different actors – nonprofits, public administrations, corporations, and academics – to act for animals through expertise and education.
Our vision is that of a world where animals are no longer considered as sources of extraction and exploitation, but as living, sentient beings.
In practical terms, Animal Law Europe advocates for the implementation of Article 13 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, which mandates the European Union and the Member States to “pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals” by virtue of their sentience.
- Animal Protection: Animal Law Europe assists on projects which carry the ultimate goal of improving the treatment of animals. Our consultancy does not collaborate on projects that contribute to further commodification of animals, nor do we contribute to humane-washing initiatives which stymie systemic change for animals.
- Diversity and plurilingualism: The European Union has 27 member States and 24 official languages. It is common for professionals in EU public affairs to be multilingual, with a passive command of additional languages. Yet, English is frequently taken up as the most common working language in Brussels. This contributes to the exclusion of populations who have limited abilities in English. For this reason, Animal Law Europe encourages its contacts to express themselves in their native language if they prefer, or by using additional languages besides English. To the best of its abilities, Animal Law Europe offers services in Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese, in addition to English and French.
- Education and accessibility: Animal Law Europe creates accessible educational experiences for learners at any stage of education. Our mission is to empower clients through world class trainings in animal law and EU public affairs. Animal Law Europe further strives to make their contents accessible to people with disabilities. Please get in touch if you have suggestions on how to make our work more accessible to all.
- Anti-oppression and inclusiveness: As a female-founded consultancy, we stand against oppressive behaviors. Animal Law Europe does not work on projects that contribute to further marginalization of racial and ethnic minorities, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, or other historically oppressed groups. We also do not associate with organizations that fail to ensure a safe and healthy working environment for their staff. Animal Law Europe further promotes the visibility of all institutional actors, regardless of their size or influence, in addition to individual professionals, regardless of career stage.
- Cross-disciplinarity and solidarity: Animal Law Europe aims to contribute to the institutionalization of animal protection objectives by building bridges between and within nonprofit actors, academics, for-profit actors, and public administrations. We believe in the power of synergies and discourage unjustified competitive behavior between actors.